Wills And Probate Solicitors London | Shortland Solicitors
Request An Initial Consultation

Wills and Probate Solicitors

Planning your own and your family’s future

Whether you are married, single, separated, divorced or cohabiting, you need an effective Will  to look after the future of the people and projects you care about.  Our Wills and probate solicitors are always in service.

Our expert private client lawyer can help you by:

If you prefer to deal with the estate yourself, we can provide background advice where necessary.

If court action is needed to protect your inheritance, our probate solicitors give realistic advice while using our expertise to ensure your entitlement is recognized. We can help whenever you need to use the courts in this country even if your family member lived and owned property overseas.

As you grow older we can support you or vulnerable members of your family by drafting Trusts and Powers of Attorney and by making sure your wishes are respected through a Living Will. Our probate solicitors are always there to help.


I have found Shortlands an extremely professional and understanding firm. My solicitor Sian Whittaker has always explained proceedings in a manner that is easy to understand and the knowledge and advice given has always been supportive and invaluable.I feel that my work is being handled very professionally and they are very prompt with their replies to my questions. I would not therefore hesitate in recommending them.
Lee Kimberley
Dear Shortlands, A very big thank you for all your help regarding my case, brilliant service provided and I will be recommending your good name to all who seek legal representation.

Frequently Asked Questions

How long do I have to be married before I can start a divorce?

You have to be married for at least one year before divorce can be commenced.

Do I have to divorce in the country where the marriage took place?

No. You are able to divorce in the UK as long as you or your spouse have been resident here for at least one year before starting your case, or you and your spouse are domiciled in the UK.

If my spouse and I have been separated for two years, are we automatically divorced?

No.The same procedure has to be followed before divorce is finalised.See Our Flowchart

What paperwork do I need to start a divorce?

– A divorce petition
– Original Marriage Certificate, with translation if appropriate
– A fee

How long does it take to divorce?

An ‘agreed divorce’ takes about 5-6 months to finalise

What happens if I cannot find my spouse?

You are still able to divorce by showing the court that you have made attempts to locate them. The facts of 2 years’ separation with consent or adultery should not be relied upon in this instance.


Our professional and highly experienced team of family law can assist you in your legal matters with full respect, ensuring you maintain a private family life. Begin the process today by submitting a confidential request, filling in the form below. We will respond to you shortly.

Check here if you accept these terms.

Please fill the form below to arrange your fixed cost initial appointment.

Please fill the form below to request a free call back:

Please fill the form below to request a free call back: