The law recognizes parents’ rights but is more essentially concerned with the child’s rights and interests – to enjoy a full and loving relationship with both parents.
We can assist with the following:
- Child Arrangement Order – to set out formally the amount of time your child will spend with each parent
- Parental Responsibility Order – to ensure your rights as a parent are recognized by law
- Specific Issue Order – to ask the court to assist in making decisions concerning certain aspects of your child’s life where the other parent is unreasonably withholding consent
- Relocation Order – to allow you to move abroad in pursuit of better employment, a better lifestyle, or simply to be with family
- Prohibited Steps Order – to prevent the other parent from carrying out an unreasonable act, such as abduction to another country, or even temporary removal from your care and control
For more extensive advice, please do not hesitate to attend an initial consultation. , or email or call us.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do we decide what time the children will spend with each parent?
Talk to one another. Try to agree arrangements that best suit the children, that they will be comfortable with and that take into account their interests.
If we cannot agree child issues, what should we do?
Have an initial meeting with a lawyer to explore the law and your rights. Then attempt mediation or collaboration.
I live abroad, so where do I apply for an Order?
The Country in which the child has been living for the past year.
What does the court consider when making a decision about how much time the child will spend with each parent?
First and foremost the Court is concerned with the Child’s interest and welfare. An arrangement will be reached that best suits the child’s welfare.
How long does the court process take?
Between three to twelve months
What is the cost involved?
The cost varies depending on the complexity of the case. At Shortlands we try to offer fixed fees for every stage of the process.
Our professional and highly experienced team of family law can assist you in your legal matters with full respect, ensuring you maintain a private family life. Begin the process today by submitting a confidential request, filling in the form below. We will respond to you shortly.